Sunday, August 28, 2011

Relocating: Chicago to Seattle? University of Washington?


Relocating: Chicago to Seattle? University of Washington?
I've lived in Chicago my entire life, and am now a rising high school senior. I've been encouraged to check out the Univerisity of Washington- Seattle, and I'm wondering about the school itself and the city. What can I expect if I make the transition? I'm specifically wondering about how the costs of living, job markets (I'm going to work towards a BSN), and overall cultures of the city compare. (any info on the music scenes?) thanks!
Seattle - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
UW is awesome! Great school, great teachers and nice people. Seattle is amazing. I'm 17 and plan on going to UW as well and I know many people there, have lived here my whole life. We do a lot of outdoors things like kayaking, hiking, biking, and anything on the water. Nightlife is good and the soccer, baseball, football and hockey games are always a blast. Cost of living downtown is very expensive....BUT there are tons of college students who buy a large house and room up to 6 people and you can rent a room for a couple hundred a month. Oh and there is many job openings in Seattle and more up North (Stay away from Tacoma no jobs). As for music scene it's really good too. Lots of concerts and stuff going on at Everett Event Center and it's so much fun to take a trip to the Gorge for outdoor concerts and camping then head down to the river. Also of course live entertainment in certain places of the city. Good luck :)
2 :
I completely agree with the other poster as far as information about the Seattle area. I've lived in the Seattle area my entire life and will be moving away for school pretty soon. I'll really miss Washington! I just graduated from UW-Seattle and I really loved it. The campus itself is really pretty, but I think the best part of going to the school was all of the research opportunities available to students (especially health-related research!) The medical center/health sciences building is just across the street south of campus, and I know a lot of people that work on research or volunteer between their classes. If you get a BSN, you shouldn't have any trouble getting a job after you graduate. As far as downsides, the classes (especially intro classes) tend to be HUGE, but this is true of most larger universities. Also, in most of the lower-level classes, the grades are definitely not inflated! UW grades in increments of 0.1 and generally classes are graded on a curve. I found that in big lecture classes, it was almost impossible to get a 4.0 (though not impossible to get a 3.7 or 3.8) - and I ended high school with a 4.0 GPA! However, the nursing school at UW takes this into consideration so I wouldn't worry about either of these drawbacks too much. It's just something to know before you go.